Is there a ball of change coming at you from every direction?
Have you asked yourself what to do with it?
Well...I say GRAB HOLD & ROLL WITH IT!!!! And here is why!
No matter how you twist and turn it, roll it or throw it, Change is here to stay. It can happen very quickly and is unfortunately, not within our control. It is scary, takes us to a world of the unknown and shifts the normalcy of our lives. Focusing on the pieces within our control will aid us in a smoother transition to embracing the change. But what is change??
Google defines it as:
My perspective is that change is any scenario that differs from your status quo. My take on grabbing that ball of change and using it to bowl that perfect strike, is intertwined within my Change Poem below.
Change is this uncomfortable new thing some say I should quickly embrace
Holding court in my head, trying to maneuver in this space
Asking questions on why or how I can bring back the old way
Now accepting that my soon-to-be, new friend “change”, is here to stay
Gradually realizing I am in only the 1st of a 3-transitioned phase
Emotional and uncomfortable, I am ready to transition within this change maze!
Here are 10 tips to help you transition through change successfully.
1. Acknowledge that there is a change. There is power in verbalizing the shift.
2. Allow yourself time to transition to acceptance. It is ok! Letting go of the old is an adjustment. Settling into the new is not instantaneous.
3. Listen intently and communicate openly about how this new change affects you, as well as others who depend on you.
4. Identify what your fears are, as related to the change. Think through how these are triggered and create a quick recovery strategy when the fear becomes present.
5. Determine who you will lean on for support and why. Expect the relationship to constructively help you thrive within your change.
6. Declare an accountability partner. This person is beyond a friend. This person will tell you the truths you may not want to hear, alert you when you are stuck and hold you hostage to the commitments that you make on your change journey.
7. Link your personal goals to the change goals and stay focused. Focusing on your “change win” will bring you a sense of calm.
8. Create an end state goal, post it where you have daily visibility, and then break it into manageable pieces. Create a plan for what you will have accomplished in buckets of 3-months, 1-month, 2-weeks and daily. Each plan should link to your already-declared end goal.
9. Realize that the change is not going away. Let’s make it work for you!
10. Pause for Rewards!!! You are making strides towards embracing your change! Celebrate!
Lolita E. Walker is the founder of Walker & Walker Enterprises. She is a mother, process improvement specialist and change management expert. She is the change management consultant who will partner with you, personally stepping through how to free your mind, manage your transitions, and embrace your change through acceptance and renewal. Her change management program results in self-discovery of the strengths that will drive your success, coaching that translates into increased communications with those depending on you, and a sustainable change map that drives clarity, confidence, ownership and action. Learn more about her program by visiting https://www.lolitawalker.com